Monday, October 31, 2011

Hearts

Right now I'm supposed to be reading The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene. I assigned it to myself almost two weeks ago, and I haven't made much headway. I wanted to start reading for pleasure again ("reading for pleasure"-- that most tantalizing and elusive idea!), but then college reminded me of my foolishness. What happened to the 5th grade Carolyn who kept a chapter book carefully stowed in her desk and would try to snatch up bits of it in the few moments of transition between math and social studies? She is gone, and in her place is a St. Thomas sophomore who wanders over to the computer to check Facebook when she should be analyzing Cordelia from King Lear.

Another distraction from my literary endeavors has been my recent obsession with the band The Head and the Heart. My Bethel friend Rachel showed them to me, and I love her for it. CHECK THEM OUT.

One last thing about hearts before I dive into Greene and then dash off to my New Testament class: I watched A Beautiful Mind this last weekend. When I become a grown-up and have to start buying my own movies, this will definitely be one of my first purchases. If you don't understand the connection between this film and hearts because you haven't seen it or don't remember it, watch it. Seriously.

I don't know why I suddenly became a reviewer (well, more of a mention-er) of books, music and movies all in one post. Maybe I just had to get it all out of my system at once. I do know, however, that I just managed to squeak in a post before November began, and somehow this is an accomplishment. Excuse me while I go celebrate my third (third!) blog post in the span of four months.

No comments:

Post a Comment